Thursday, October 6, 2011

My drug of choice

Let me start this post off by saying I am 30 years old. I have been to a few parties in my time. And with parties you have alcohol and at some there are drugs. I have had discussions with some people who have smoked marijuana, have been addicted to prescription drugs, and some who were addicted to some pretty hard core drugs such as meth, cocaine, heroine...

I am about to open up to this reading audience and let you in on my drug of choice. Now just so you all know, this isn't an easy admission. I have an addiction to.....chocolate!

You didn't really buy into that drug thing did you? I have NEVER, ever, ever done drugs. Not a single one. I have never understood the need for it. Not for myself. I understand that some people try it "just once" when it turns into an addiction that they can't stop. Some people feel more like themselves when they are high.


Here is something I read about addiction to chocolate:

Although addictive behavior is generally associated with drug and alcohol abuse or compulsive sexual activity, chocolate may evoke similar psychopharmacologic and behavioral reactions in susceptible persons. A review of the literature on chocolate cravings indicates that the hedonic appeal of chocolate (fat, sugar, texture, and aroma) is likely to be a predominant factor in such cravings. Other characteristics of chocolate, however, may be equally as important contributors to the phenomena of chocolate cravings. Chocolate may be used by some as a form of self-medication for dietary deficiencies (eg, magnesium) or to balance low levels of neurotransmitters involved in the regulation of mood, food intake, and compulsive behaviors (eg, serotonin and dopamine). Chocolate cravings are often episodic and fluctuate with hormonal changes just before and during the menses, which suggests a hormonal link and confirms the assumed gender-specific nature of chocolate cravings. Chocolate contains several biologically active constituents (methylxanthines, biogenic amines, and cannabinoid-like fatty acids), all of which potentially cause abnormal behaviors and psychological sensations that parallel those of other addictive substances. Most likely, a combination of chocolate's sensory characteristics, nutrient composition, and psychoactive ingredients, compounded with monthly hormonal fluctuations and mood swings among women, will ultimately form the model of chocolate cravings. Dietetics professionals must be aware that chocolate cravings are real. The psychopharmacologic and chemosensory effects of chocolate must be considered when formulating recommendations for overall healthful eating and for treatment of nutritionally related health issues. 



I'm not sure that I have an ADDICTION but I certainly wouldn't be surprised. It just makes me so happy to have a great big bowl of chocolate ice cream. Or a candy bar. It just feels so damned good!

All photos compliments of Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...